Saturday, April 03, 2010

Day 6: September 11th

I feel like my hands are filthy even though I’ve washed them numerous times today. My whole being feels dirty and gross. I may have to shave or at least “clean up” a little tonight or tomorrow morning. I could have kept driving today I think. I am in Albany and drove a little over 400 miles today to Albany, NY which as you (should) know is about three hours away (I did it in two and a half once) from Boston. I didn’t feel like getting there at night and driving in the dark at this point, especially after driving all day in the sun, is a chore. I may be old though as well. Yesterday I did over 500 miles, so I am ready to be done with this trip. Ending with a brief drive tomorrow is a better idea as unloading all this stuff I have will be easier.

I don’t think I took any pictures today and yesterday only took about five or six. This part of the country is boring, I feel like I wrote that exact thing about “this part of the country” but maybe not. This is going to be a strange adjustment (I think). I never really settled out there so it’s almost like I was on a long vacation. That place (L.A.) doesn’t really have a culture I can put my finger on. It’s too big and is like a giant strip mall, or series of strip malls. There is nothing pleasant to the eye around the Valley/Hollywood, LA, etc aside from the mountains you are surrounded by. After a while though, those grow tired. The irony is that the film industry is big there, which is for the most part based on fiction. I feel like people out there are based on fiction. There is always some two part story to everyone and and everything. It grows tired after a few months. If the only thing keeping me out there was weather, that would be pretty horrible!

In the next couple of days I’ll probably do a more serious “recap” of this trip. I am frankly pretty exhausted at about 20 miles under 3,000 so far. Tomorrow will be the seventh day of driving. People went out and lived and worked and did their thing while I did this. Weird. Fun. Needed, etc. I feel relieved, revived, different, better, worse and healthier all at once.

No comments: