Friday, August 21, 2009

Sidewalk meal




Tonight we tried one of the Kogi BBQ truck that drives around the LA area. You can follow the trucks on Twitter for real time updates (generally if they are running late), but the regular website also lists the locations of where they will be for the week.

After a late "lunch" today the plan to eat at the truck, which would be in North Hollywood from 10:30 PM to 1:00 AM was perfect. The fact that I had Mexican food for lunch was not the best "previous meal" to have sitting in my stomach, but whatever. We've been trying to hit up some newer places that aren't big fast food chains, or are in areas we haven't ventured to before and after being here a little bit over a week, all of them have been hits.

We got there right at 10:30 and there was a line at the truck of about thirty people. The total wait time until we finally sat down (on the sidewalk) and ate was about fifty minutes which went by relatively quick. Rather than try one thing and then wait until whenever the next time will be, we decided to just get a whole bunch of stuff. I got three tacos (Korean short ribs, spicy pork, and spicy chicken) as well as "shooters" (little mini "burgers" that I believe were just the Korean short ribs on a bun with all the fixins on the tacos as well some mighty tangy/spicy sauce). My friend Noel got a chicken quesadilla and tacos as well and we shared the four items. The quesadilla was also amazing, with a spicy red sauce on top of it as well as sesame seeds. We seemed to eat all of this within about twelve minutes and were both full, but not gross full.

I would definitely hit one of these up again. It's a cool experience and worth the wait even if it does feel absurd standing in line at a truck parked in front of a bar. The only complaint I had was the exhaust from the truck or maybe generator while we stood in line.

1 comment:

Jon Glassett said...

This reminded me of my visit to Portland, OR. These food carts are everywhere downtown and there awesome. Every type of food you can think of: Greek, Polish, Lebanese, Mexican, Italian, you get the idea. Whole parking lots full of these bright, little trailers with people cooking inside of them. People walking around, slowing down for menus. It seemed like everyone was smiling. Maybe that was just me projecting my own sense of novelty. It's one of those weird things I think I'll probably always remember. Me and the wife browsing cart menus in downtown Portland.