Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Looking for Steamers

Today was more like I remember these long road trips when you are the person driving...long and tedious. Not for the impatient. I almost started smoking again about eighty times but decided to eat or drink things instead. It really will wear you down. Especially being by yourself. Perhaps because of the small amount of sleep I got (about 4 hours), but I was already starting to feel the exhaustion coming on two or three hours in. I ended up stopping more than I like to normally stop but I had to keep getting different coffee based beverages. Next service area I would stop at to use the bathroom. I used to pride myself on going long hours in the car without having to stop to use the restroom. Today it was like I was my own girlfriend. I'm surprised I didn't start complaining that I was cold. I wanted to cover a little more ground than the brief journey the night before and kind of did, but not really as much as I'd like to. I did want to stop here though, so...not sure what the problem is here. I think I went 450 miles or so as opposed to the 200 late night miles last night. It's after midnight now; I can't imagine being up that late tonight. With a good nights rest and an actual breakfast tomorrow, and maybe a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame it should be a better drive.

This morning I left at 9:45 AM, stopped in Cleveland (where I am now). I got here at 6:20, enough time to check into this hotel I booked on the phone earlier, change my clothes and walk to the baseball park in time for the National Anthem. It was a nice park. I always find myself wanting to roam around these parks, especially if I don't have anything emotionally invested in either team. It's easy to lose interest. Cleveland were winning by a pretty big margin by the time I left during the 7th inning.

This hotel I am in, it's in a very old building, like blood pouring out of the elevators and creepy twins lurking around the corners of the long hallways. I got here and while checking in and getting all my papers and shit in order I asked the guy what floor the room was on and he lets me know I have been upgraded to the top floor, to "a suite with a little living room area and a kitchenette". What I did to deserve this I have no idea. I know the price on the door on the legal document says the room is a $279 room. I paid waaay less than that. I enjoy being high up like this in hotels and being able to see lights and other buildings and cars on bridges far away going who knows where. This room though, absolutely huge and unnecessary for anyone, even someone who can afford it.

Again feel like there's more there, just spent right now. Shit written down on paper though for good measure.


1 comment:

Gena said...

LOL at your "I'm surprised I didn't start complaining that I was cold" comment! I'm going to start calling you Mr. Jefferson for moving on up!