Saturday, August 08, 2009

Distant Lights

Fuck it's hot out, but I think the nature of the trip and the constant moving is making it okay. It's 100 degrees or something here in Salina, KS with "extreme winds". With the windchill factor it makes it feel like it's 99 degrees. I got here late last night after driving half a day, taking in a Royals baseball game in Kansas City and then hitting the road for another couple of hours. Speed limit is 70 mph and late at night in Kansas there are very few cars on the road. So it was easy to hit 80 at times. The sky is huge here, and late at night it's amazing how clear it is. I tried to take pictures of it but then realized taking pictures of things/moments like that don't count.

I haven't had the energy to write much. When I get to the rooms at night I am usually falling asleep within an hour. I've driven about 1700 miles, or a little more than halfway there. I switched the route up a little bit and am going a more north route today. Pictures should be awesome. Also of note I will be hitting a state I have never been to which I think will be the 40th state I've been to. I have improvised the vast majority of this trip. The only time I turned my GPS on was when I needed to find my hotel in Cleveland which was in downtown.

Speaking of Cleveland, I hit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame which was pretty cool. Some awe-inspiring shit there like Jerry's 1990 Doug Irwin guitar "Rosebud" as well as a few others. None of the ones from the 60's or 70's obviously. There was a Springsteen exhibit happening which was amazing. Saw the guitar he has strapped on from the Born to Run cover, tons of original lyric notebooks. Staring at the original hand written lyrics to like "For You" from Greetings, or Atlantic City...was awesome. They don't allow you to take pictures there which is kind of lame, and it seemed smaller for such a huge building. Then again I'm one of those people that will stop and look at something and be like "okay I saw it, let's go"

Have been growing tired of the accents of people out here. Their demeanor, everything is just enough to drive you crazy. People are friendly, but you also get a feeling they are thinking to themselves "this faggot better not try anything funny" about you. It was nice to not get a single comment about the Red Sox hat at the baseball game last night. Mainly because people know when to just shut up and mind their own business. That's one thing I won't miss about New England, people just need to tell you how they feel at every fucking minute. Unsolicited opinions on everything from jelly to the weather. It's tiring.  Other thing with this area of the country is every man looks exactly the same. Every woman that works in a convenient store/gas station, etc you get the feeling you could probably turn her out in five minutes. Wait what?

The next part of this trip is the more "pretty" shit, but I have to say I am ready to just get there and get settled. I am growing tired of driving. Thankfully I have a good friend making the trip more bearable with texts, a phone call helping with the decision to take this next route and a general demeanor, sense of humor and personality that rules.

I'll get around to pictures soon.
 

No comments: