Tuesday, September 12, 2006



"If you're going through hell, keep going"

-Winston Churchill

It's ironic how getting away from a routine (eg work, band rehearsal, going to the same Dunkin Donuts every day at the same time, etc) is great for a day or so and then it turns into a routine. Not that this is a bad routine, seeing some amazing stuff I might never see again, spending countless hours a day not speaking it's refreshing and I haven't gotten up one morning on this trip yet and said "shit, this is going to suck today". I knew what I was getting into when I decided to take the trip so there would be no reason for me not to be completely ready to spend a day driving 500 miles. Watching those signs that tease you "Amarillo 189 Miles" and then what seems like forty minutes later "Amarillo 176 Miles".

I am pretty close to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon tonight (In Gallup, NM) so tomorrow will be a brief three hour drive. There isn't much between Flagstaff and Los Angeles aside from Las Vegas so I may go there tomorrow night and stay there, or just stay in Flagstaff and do the seven hour drive on Thursday...as long as I promise myself to leave early so as to not hit the Mojave Desert after the sun goes down. That's really been the only rule I've been trying to keep...minimal driving at night. Not that breaking down in the middle of the day in the middle of nowhere would be that much better, it might be just a bit more scary.

Went to Albuquerque this afternoon and had lunch at some old Mexican restaurant and took some photos.

The seemingly annoying train whistle that happens every forty five minutes of so here is actually quite pleasant sounding.

Popular music in the car this trip so far: The Minutemen, James Hunter, Chuck Berry, Hank Williams, Steely Dan, Neko Case, The Roots new one, Pedro the Lion.

No comments: