Monday, September 11, 2006


Don’t mess with Texas

In Amarillo Texas after a mostly bland day. I didn’t do any site-seeing today aside from what was outside of my window, got pulled over in Oklahoma City and had my suitcase searched, a million questions, and was left with “We do things a little bit slower here in Oklahoma” from the generally nice policeman. After that I pretty much didn’t stop until I got here in Amarillo. I found this hotel “The Ritz” that was $39.95 a night. I walk in this pretty big place and should have taken my initial feelings of uncertainty after noticing the sign wasn’t lit up. The grand lobby with chandeliers, etc made it seem okay. I pay my money and make my way to the room. I walk in and immediately notice these huge bugs that look like black cockroaches with wings on the curtain and leave the room. I tell the guy at the counter I’ve decided to drive through the night and found this Holiday Inn that is huge with a pool, courtyard, comfy chairs inside, etc for a little more money. No bugs so far. Also, not sure if this is a smoking room or not. It’s interesting smoking in this situation as it’s like you’re on a ski trip in high school and you’re breaking some kind of rule. Initially I smoked a cigarette in the bathroom with the shower on so the steam would kill the smell. I then smoked by the little porch I have here and then realized it looks out upon a courtyard and someone might see me. Then I realized I was 36 years old and from Massachusetts and could give a shit less what will happen if they figure out I smoked in here tomorrow when I am already 92 miles away from here…and I paid cash.

I must say I am extremely glad I got to see a sunset here in Texas on the drive here. The road here from Oklahoma City was so straight I forgot how to use my steering wheel for a minute at one point. With nothing in front of you, behind you, or on either side of you it’s impossible to even explain how huge the sky looks. I can’t imagine there is a camera with the ability to capture it how it really is. I took a couple pictures while driving and while at a rest area (it sounds like someone is moving a gigantic safe across the floor in the room above me. Not sure why I picked “safe” there and not “piano”, “dead horse”, or “Wilfred Brimley’s corpse”).

Every guy I saw at a rest area, gas station, etc today looked like the kind of guy that would just punch you in the face after telling you how abortion stops a beating heart. That or they looked like the wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin. Which I guess is the same kind of deal.

Car is at 2,071 miles now. Windshield and front grill of the car are dirtier than a landlord's soul.

No comments: