Thursday, September 14, 2006


Cold in Arizona

Weird, one would assume everything in Arizona is hot. Last night I go across the road to get some coffee from this strange gas station/gift shop (which seems to be the norm out here), bring it back to the room and it's all of a sudden lukewarm. I've been up pretty early every morning; this morning I went down to the restaurant in this spacious Holiday Inn I'm in for breakfast. They are offering a breakfast buffet, which in itself just doesn't sound like a good idea. I mean the idea of ALL THE BACON YOU CAN EAT sounds like heaven for a portly fellow such as myself, but umm...there wasn't anything good. I got the standard eggs, potatoes, bacon and a small little bagel. One thing I've noticed "out here" is the bagels are all tiny, it's like only little dwarfs eat bagels. Anyway, eggs: cold, potatoes: cold, taste frozen, bacon: warm, not that bad, bagel: tiny(!). Having control over how you toast was the only saving ground for the meal in the first place, that and the ability to sit there and smoke cigarettes in a restaurant while reading my book over coffee was nice.

I just drove practically 3,000 miles and I'm talking about fucking breakfast. I am really starting to miss my own cooked food. I haven't been eating fast food constantly or anything but, it's nice to have a good cook such as myself cooking for me when I'm at home.

Went to the Grand Canyon yesterday and it was truly humbling and beautiful just like anyone who has ever seen it generally says. It was later in the day so I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked, but the two hours or so there was enough...for now. I'll definitely go back there. The drive there from Flagstaff was breathtaking as well, snaking through vast areas of nothingness and trees, open desert, etc.

Today is the last day of driving. I'm about 450 miles out of Los Angeles, there isn't much between here and there aside from the Mojave Desert and creepy Needles, CA so it should be an easy seven hours of driving with minimal stopping. I've been able to do every drive for the most part without having to stop for a restroom. The beauty of travelling alone!

No comments: