Thursday, September 13, 2007








I’m in South San Francisco now, too tired last night to do any writing. Yesterday I made my way from San Luis Obispo to Monterey along the Pacific Coast Highway. The drive was just long enough to start to grow tiresome, and short enough to not completely exhaust myself, and still have plenty of daylight to explore Cannery Row as well as some other areas of the beautiful Monterey seaside. After a brief breakfast at a chain restaurant where the hostess told me she “liked my ink”, I asked directions to Morro Bay, presumably forgetting I had my GPS thingy with me. I basically asked “will that road lead me to that big rock?”. The big rock in question was Morro Rock, a “volcanic plug” whatever that is (according to Wikipedia). The town was pretty cool, small and consistent with most of the towns on the water I encountered the last couple of days: fishermen types, surfers, laid back folk with blonde hair that probably know a thing or two about marijuana and Bermuda shorts. Here are some pics I took at the rock:
The rock, and then some surfer guy that looked like some sort of Russian villain from a James Bond film.



















I drove a little more and came upon an area that said "elephant seal viewing area". I had no idea what this meant, and assumed there would be these gigantic seals on the beach doing tricks, etc. What I found basically looked like the Jim Jones massacre with a number of what I assumed were dead seals on the sand. After reading the little posts, this is apparently what they do...look dead.















I guess they're cute. Who the fuck knows.
After this area, the drive got real long, a lot of desolate areas, amazing views as one would expect in this area of the country. One thing I noticed after a couple hours and miles and miles of intense cliffs and ocean views was how much you ignore what's going on to your right, mountains stretching up to the sky, vast emptiness where nobody has probably ever walked, and probably never will. The pictures kind of speak for themselves. Spotted that little lizard on the ground by the bridge.



Also, and I definitely don’t condone this kind of thing, but I took some video while driving, as well as at Bixby Bridge, which was kind of scary as I really hate heights. So yeah. The internet connection in this hotel is as useless as anything so I can’t load anymore pictures, I'll do more tomorrow.

2 comments:

jpm said...

Great pictures and words, CC. That video is utterly nutso.

Heaven said...

i know someone that fell off a cliff and died because he was taking pictures INSTEAD of watching where he was stepping. be careful cc. beautiful stuff.